SUMMER AUDITION ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON!
The first step in auditioning is choosing great, appropriate material that you love! When choosing material you'll want to make sure it:
- Is age appropriate. All material should be for a character that could be played by you.
- Is unique. Some material has been heard so many times, it gets a little lost on your audience. Let's find you something special!
- Plays to your strengths. If you are an awesome alto, don't choose a soprano piece.
- Is something you love to perform. If you love it, it will show!
Wondering where to find a monologue? Here are some tips:
- Read plays! Lots of them. Look for characters your age. Check the library, Amazon or book stores. Straight plays tend to have more monologues than musicals, but you can find them in either.
- Read books! Some of your favorite fictional characters may have great monologue material! These may need some editing so it sounds like it is being delivered in the present tense to another person. You'll need to edit our the "he saids" and other narrative parts. We can help.
- Watch movies! I bet you can find some one minute pieces from a character you love in your favorite movie!
- Surfing the internet for monologues can be a little risky. Many of them are not great pieces or are pretty over done. You could find a gem if you look hard enough!
What about songs?
Since we often require everyone to have sheet music for a program, we wanted to give you a hand. Some of our favoite places to find sheet music are:
OR you can check with us and we will try and help you! Please double check that the song is in the key you want!