Scene Study and Song Interpretation
with Cori Anne Laemmel and Guests
Showcase September 22nd, 10am
Auditions September 7th, 2:30-5pm, by appointment
$100 [Financial aid available]
All who register will be admitted into this program so long as there are no noticeable behavioral issues that could effect the group as a whole.
Performers will spend a week workshopping scenes and songs from Theater Bug original musicals and plays like, "If I Were You", "The Barefoot Children in the City of Ward", "7 Ways to Sunday", "Inside Out Atlas", "Oddly Puddle is from Inner Space", "You're Still Here", "Showmance" and more! Students will audition for placement only. All students who register will be admitted and cast in scenes and songs that challenge them at their own level of skill and experience. Throughout the week they will meet with the instructor and guests in their scene or song groups, or as individuals, to receive coaching on their pieces.
Students will not be called all day every day and we will do our best to accommodate tutorials and other scheduling needs. All actors will be placed in a minimum of one scene, monologue or song and up to 3 pieces depending on availability and readiness. Students will receive a workshop time each day between the hours of 9am-4pm based on the student's availability.
At the end of the week students will perform their workshopped pieces for family, friends and invited guests in a free showcase. There is not a conflict maximum for this program, however, availability will affect placement in pieces. Conflicts submitted after auditions will not be permitted as we will be using this information to create the schedule and place students in their scenes and songs.
Any scenes that cover more mature themes or material will be sent to students and parents prior to the start of the workshop for both student's and parent's approval if under 18.
All actors must audition with a memorized one minute monologue of their choosing (no Shakespeare, does not have to be a Laemmel original). For a link to original Laemmel monologues, click HERE.
Actors who wish to also be considered for song interpretation, please also bring one minute of a Broadway style song with EITHER an instrumental track without vocals or sheet music in the correct key. If you are using sheet music, we will provide an accompanist from 4-5pm, so please be sure to schedule your audition in that time frame.
You will receive a link to schedule your audition once registration form and tuition are received. Thank you!
**download the fillable form, open with Adobe Reader, fill out and submit electronically**
The first step in auditioning is choosing great, appropriate material that you love! When choosing material you'll want to make sure it:
- Is age appropriate. All material should be for a character that could be played by you.
- Is unique. Some material has been heard so many times, it gets a little lost on your audience. Let's find you something special!
- Plays to your strengths. If you are an awesome alto, don't choose a soprano piece.
- Is something you love to perform. If you love it, it will show!
Wondering where to find a monologue? Here are some tips:
- Read plays! Lots of them. Look for characters your age. Check the library, Amazon or book stores. Straight plays tend to have more monologues than musicals, but you can find them in either.
- Read books! Some of your favorite fictional characters may have great monologue material! These may need some editing so it sounds like it is being delivered in the present tense to another person. You'll need to edit our the "he saids" and other narrative parts. We can help.
- Watch movies! I bet you can find some one minute pieces from a character you love in your favorite movie!
- Surfing the internet for monologues can be a little risky. Many of them are not great pieces or are pretty over done. You could find a gem if you look hard enough!
What about songs?
Since we often require everyone to have sheet music for a program, we wanted to give you a hand. Some of our favoite places to find sheet music are:
OR you can check with us and we will try and help you! Please double check that the song is in the key you want!